Pre Surgery Instructions for Patients Undergoing IV SedationBACK
You have been scheduled to undergo intravenous (IV) sedation to make your dental surgery a more pleasant experience. In order to perform this procedure with IV sedation, it is important that you understand and follow a few simple rules.
If your surgery is in the morning (before 12:00 noon), you cannot have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before. If your surgery is in the afternoon, you should have nothing to eat or drink at least 8 hours prior to surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to your appointment and stay in the office waiting area while the procedure is performed and be present to receive post-operative instructions and escort you home.
- You should plan to have a responsible adult stay with you for 24 hours after surgery, especially if you have small children.
- You must NOT operate automobiles or machinery for 24 hours following surgery, and while taking narcotic drugs.
- Wear comfortable clothing. A short-sleeved shirt and flat shoes are requested.
- Remove nail polish, earrings, contact lenses, and bracelets prior to your appointment.
- Take all regularly scheduled medications as directed, unless otherwise specified by the surgeon. If you are taking any medications the morning of surgery, take only with a sip of water.
- Please call to our attention if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart trouble, bleeding problems, allergies, or any other condition you feel may be related to your treatment.
- If the patient is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must be present to sign surgical consents and remain in our waiting area for the duration of the procedures.
- RELAX!! Intravenous sedation is a very safe and comfortable way to undergo dental procedures.
See you at your appointment!