Pre Surgery Instructions for Patients Undergoing IV SedationBACK
You have been scheduled to undergo intravenous (IV) sedation to make your dental surgery a more pleasant experience. In order to perform this procedure with IV sedation, it is important that you understand and follow a few simple rules.
If your surgery is in the morning (before 12:00 noon), you cannot have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before. If your surgery is in the afternoon, you should have nothing to eat or drink at least 8 hours prior to surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to your appointment and stay in the office waiting area while the procedure is performed and be present to receive post-operative instructions and escort you home.
- You should plan to have a responsible adult stay with you for 24 hours after surgery, especially if you have small children.
- You must NOT operate automobiles or machinery for 24 hours following surgery, and while taking narcotic drugs.
- Wear comfortable clothing. A short-sleeved shirt and flat shoes are requested.
- Remove nail polish, earrings, contact lenses, and bracelets prior to your appointment.
- Take all regularly scheduled medications as directed, unless otherwise specified by the surgeon. If you are taking any medications the morning of surgery, take only with a sip of water.
- Please call to our attention if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart trouble, bleeding problems, allergies, or any other condition you feel may be related to your treatment.
- If the patient is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must be present to sign surgical consents and remain in our waiting area for the duration of the procedures.
- RELAX!! Intravenous sedation is a very safe and comfortable way to undergo dental procedures.
See you at your appointment!
We Are Here To Help
Please contact our office if you have any questions or issues with these instructions.
Take the instructions on the go. Download in PDF format.